|Dimensions: ||35 cm diàm.|
|Generic classification: ||Sculpture|
|General inventari: ||417 E|
|Location: ||Reial Acadèmia Catalana de Belles Arts de Sant Jordi|
|Provenance: This is a tribute medallion devoted to Manuel Fuxà, who was about to retire as head master at the Escola de Llotja (Llotja school)
Inscriptions: “MANUEL FUXA ESCULPTOR / A L’E / DAT / D/ LXX/ ANYS”, around the portrait.
The sculptor Manuel Fuxà was head master at the Escola de Llotja from 1911 to 1920. During this period he played a leading part in restoring the school’s prestige which had dropped sharply before his arrival to the teaching institution. Notwithstanding, Fuxà retired on March 5th 1920 and not on September 2nd (the official date for his retirement) due to health problems. The medallion was made on this occasion, both as a tribute to the beloved head master of the school as to the praised sculptor.
M. Fuxà was also elected permanent academician on July 18th 1903.
Frederic Marès had studied under Manuel Fuxà. He was admitted to the Academy on June 2nd 1954, where he acted as president from June 19th 1963 to January 17th 1990. By then, Marès became honourable president due to his age. From 1948 to 1964 he was head master at the Fine Arts School and also at the school of Applied Arts and Art Crafts from 1946 to 1964.|