|Dimensions: ||32 x 18 x 25 cm|
|Date: ||c. 1940|
|Generic classification: ||Sculpture|
|General inventari: ||36 E|
|Location: ||Reial Acadèmia Catalana de Belles Arts de Sant Jordi|
|Inscriptions: “OTERO”, at the right side; “G: BECHINI / FUNDICION”, at the left side.
Provenance: Given by Sra Loreto Rodríguez Codolà de Costa Simón, daughter of the academician Manuel Rodríguez Codolà, in May 1991.
This bronze was cast from the plaster listed above (0037 E). Otero probably executed it in 1940 for the Academy’s tribute to Manuel Rodríguez Codolà, the person who was appointed secretary of the institution in 1903 and still served as such, and to whom the sculptor was a very close friend.
Jaume Otero was pupil and collaborator of Manuel Fuxà. In 1906 he won an educational grant and left for Paris and Brussels, where he returned a second time thanks to a financial aid from Barcelona’s City Council. In Paris he collaborated with Albert Bartholomé. The works of Otero, above all those prior to approximately 1925 are a symbiosis of the classical Noucentisme (a Catalan cultural movement at the beginning of the twentieth century) and the decorative Art Deco.|