|Technique: ||Painted plaster|
|Dimensions: ||55 x 23 x 25 cm|
|Generic classification: ||Sculpture|
|General inventari: ||40 E|
|Location: ||Reial Acadèmia Catalana de Belles Arts de Sant Jordi|
|Given by Dr Emili Tiffon’s daughters, Maria and Sara Tiffon Ramonet from Mollet del Vallès.
Inscriptions: “J.Carrera / 1916”, at the right side.
This is one of Carrera’s early works. It was possibly executed under the guidance of the architect from Girona Rafael Masó and the house Marcó de Quart, the place where they developed the technique that permitted working with a special baked clay that evoked bronze while being a product of the black traditional baked clay. The use of this material became a distinct feature of Girona’s Noucentisme (Catalan cultural movement at the beginning of the twentieth century). Nevertheless, the present item is a work in plaster that simply imitates this technique.
Joan Carrera won the Llotja’s educational grant for Sculpture in 1910. He settled in Girona in 1930 where in addition to managing his own academy, he taught in an Institute (located in Força street) and in the school of Plastic Arts of the Casa de Misericòrdia. He was also the head master at the local school of Fine Arts.
Emili Tiffon Vila (Barcelona, 1878-1924) was chiropodist.|