|Inscribed: At lower right, in white: “73’. On frame, on old card, in ink: “77’. On back of frame, on label of the Academy, in ink: “N.a. 77/ N.m. 45/ Martirio de S. Pablo/ Escuela Bolonesa’.
Provenance: Museum of the Junta de Comerç.
Note: It is a crude work inspired in Caravaggio. In the Catàleg de 1833 it appears as an “Original de Carabatcho” (sic) and it is also credited to the Italian painter in the 1837 catalogue. However, in the catalogue of 1847 it was given to the school of Bologne and this attribution was upheld ever since in the subsequent catalogues. Pérez Sánchez suggests it is a copy of a work in the style of Caravaggio, probably related to Lionello Spada.|