|Inscribed: At upper side: “ST/ Ioseph’, and on the panel itself, remains of an old card. On back of panel, label of the Academy, in ink: “N. a. 193/ N.M. 128” which partly covers the inscription in drawing charcoal: “S. Monica’. On back of panel, slightly coverd by the base of the ring from which the painting hangs, it is inscribed: “Agustinos/ Descalzos’.
Provenance: Barcelona, Convent of Santa Mònica, of the Order of the Discalced Augustinians, from where it passed to the Museum of the former Board of Commerce
Came to the Academy's Museum: 1835 (?).
Note: It goes together with the Saint Paul (inv. no. 206) and the Saint Peter (inv. no. 184). These paintings do not appear in the list of the works which were brought in from Santa Mònica; they were probably among the works which were confiscated during the Napoleonic period.
On loan to the MFMB (inv. 2997), until came back to the Academy on September 29, 2009.|