|Inscribed: On back of canvas, on label of the Academy, in ink: “Núm. modern 229’, “Núm. ant. no lo tuvo’, “Retrato".
Provenance: Bequeathed by the artist, the Canon Tomàs de Puiguriguer, to the Academy (testament dating from May 26th 1869).
Came to the Academy's Museum: February 4th 1881.
Note: The original of this work (of very similar dimensions) and those that bear numbers 169 and 249 belonged to the collection of José Nicolás de Azara. The date of the original by Mengs is unknown. From the collection of Azara it passed to his heirs in Madrid. Two further versions of this same portrait are known. One, currently lost, was in the Kaiser Friedrich Museum in Berlin and the other one, in the Art Institute of Chicago.
The portrayed (Copenhaguen, 1690-Dresden, 1764), painter and enameler, was Anton Raphael Mengs' father.|